Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What's Wrong with a Little Routine?

By nature some people are more comfortable with routine than others. I realize that many people shudder at the thought of the mundane of daily routines. But some of us literally THRIVE on routine. It's not our fault. It's in our DNA. That's why we can do things like accounting and other seemingly boring jobs. Yes, I get bored. Both with life and with work when there is NO break in the routine. But sometimes I JUST NEED A LITTLE ROUTINE!!!!!

I know all the expressions and beckoning of those other people. I've heard it all my life from my mama, my sister, my brother, my husband, my coworkers, my friends and my therapist. (I was actually in therapy at one point.)

Expect the unexpected. Be prepared for anything and everything. (Thanks, Mama and the Boys Scouts of America!) You need to be more flexible. Go with the flow. Be a willow tree. (That's my sister's favorite.) Learn to let go of things. Let's just play it by ear. (I can hear my husband say that like a broken record.) Accept the things you cannot change. (The oh so irritating serenity prayer.) Don't worry; be happy. (Crazy islanders!) Serenity now! (Frank Costanza) We plan; God laughs. (That one is on my kitchen wall.)

It feels like the unexpected is ALWAYS happening; and I never have time to restock my preparedness kit; and I already flexed myself into a knot; and the flow is coming at me like white water; and my willow tree got hit by lightening; and I cannot loosen my grip on that last little bit of sanity; and my ears are tone deaf; and I don't know that something cannot be changed unless I try, right?

Why does everyone think that it's the rigid person who should change. If the others are so flexible, why can't THEY adapt to MY ROUTINES?

2 comments:

  1. I guess routine makes us feel grounded. And safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Grace, every time I come to your Blog I re-read your description of yourself and think....she and I are very, very much alike. However, this is the one place we're very different. I just sort of roll with the punches, go with the flow, hang loose! I've really blamed that on the fact that I'm Sagittarius and it's really all about having fun and getting on to the next big 'thang' with us. lol Ive never really put much credence in horoscope stuff, but I have girlfriends that are Sagittarius and darned if they aren't like me in that respect. Oh well.....routine can be a positive thing and I wish sometime that I was more in that mode. :) :) Roger...the boyfriend.....is way over the top with routine. 'spose' it will rub off a little? I'm sure HE hopes it does. lol

    ReplyDelete